What is Illegal Dumping and Why Does it Need to Be Stopped?
Illegal dumping is the disposal of waste outside of the laws established. Instead of using an authorized method such as curbside collection or an authorized rubbish drop off, people take their bulk items such as appliances, mattresses, and demolition items to remote areas. It is easy to think people illegally depose of their appliances and large bulky items because they are thoughtless of the environment, but what if they are not aware of the environmental hazards they create?
With illegal dumping, there are multiple serious consequences that come along with it. Dump piles not only pollute the community and the environment, but they also attract diseased insects and animals, such as mosquitoes and rats. These critters are dangerous because they carry disease, and it does not take long for the disease to spread to the citizens among the community. Illegal dumping is a critical issue that needs to be stopped immediately before it infects your community.
What can be done to stop the problem of illegal dumping?
Create an Illegal Dumping Program in your Community.
- Educate: The first step is to educate the community.
- Involve the Community: Hotlines should be available to report incidents of hotspots.
- Provide convenient drop off sites.
- Implement programs for bulk Item disposal.
- Install Illegal Dumping Cameras: Illegal Dumping Cameras are designed to capture license plates, in complete darkness in remote areas.
- Create laws with increased penalties.
Protect your community and stop illegal dumping!