Stop Illegal Dumping of E-Waste!
Illegal dumping is becoming a huge problem, specifically the unauthorized dumping of e-waste. Dumping occurs all throughout the nation, and it needs to be stopped before it causes more damage than what has already been done.
One of the more harmful effects of illegal dumping are fires. These fires that are caused by dumping occur from people dumping tires or hazard waste products that should have a proper disposal technique. When the waste, specifically electronic waste, is illegally dumped it is extremely harmful to the environment and its surroundings.
Electronic waste, or e-waste, is defined as “discarded electrical equipment”. When electronics are illegally dumped, it is very likely to cause a fire wherever the dump site may be. How do these e-waste fires start? The batteries inside of the electronics are very combustible and are very dangerous.
Illegal dumpers may think that their illegal deposit of waste is harmless, but it causes extreme consequences that hurt the environment through toxic pollution and an out-of-control fire that will destroy acres of land.
How can municipalities stop illegal dumping?
- Educate the community about how to safely dispose of hazardous waste.
- Provide days for the community to drop off their hazardous waste.
- Provide hotlines for citizens to report dump spots and illegal dumping activity.
- Immediately clean up all unauthorized dumping to prevent further risk.
- Install Illegal dumping cameras especially design to identify license plates and dumping activity in remote areas.
- Use social media to educate and ask the community for help in identifying the offender.
Get the tools you need to stop illegal dumping!