Parks are an invaluable asset to all communities. Communities with well maintained parks are thriving communities of healthy people. Parks increase the community’s physical activities and interaction. Parks are also known to reduce stress even if one only sits at a park bench.
For a park to provide what the community needs there are certain aspects to take into consideration. Several characteristics that can negatively impact a park is crime, the suggestion of crime, or the suggestion of gang activity such as graffiti. Graffiti and vandalism not only change the esthetic look of the park, it changes the feel of a park and the park is no longer inviting.
Here are some suggestions to combat the negative behavior that impacts your park:
- Make sure there is adequate lighting
- Create activities and programs that involve the community
- Have Site Managers
- Have walking routes
- Display Maps at entrances and walk routes
- Have Security Measures in place, such as Graffiti Cameras and patrolling officers
- Clean up all vandalism and graffiti immediately
- Maintain safety measures for the park and all park equipment
The NRPA has a tool to help communities evaluate their parks. This NRPA site provides interactive tools like custom reports on value and budgets and presents data and key insights. It would be beneficial for your parks department to look at the tools provided and use what will enhance your agency’s performance.
Keep your Park safe for a healthy community!
#ParksAndRecreation #graffiti #novandalism #publicworks #deterrence #police