How to Stop Illegal Dumping
Illegal Dumping has gotten out of hand. According to the Los Angeles County Public Works, “People usually dump illegally to avoid collection and disposal fees, or because they believe proper disposal is just ‘too much trouble’.” This is very unfortunate for our communities who receive the negative consequences of higher taxes for cleanup, environmental hazards, and a breeding ground for rats.
The cost of a one-time cleanup and detoxing of an area can cost thousands of dollars. But to leave the mess is just not an option. The best option is to stop the illegal dumping before it happens, preventing the cost of cleanup, preventing the chemicals and toxins from entering the ground water, and preventing the rats and mosquitoes from breeding. The best areas to live are communities that care about their community! So, what can a community do to prevent illegal dumping?
Here are some key points to help deter illegal dumping:
- Educate the public through the schools and through community awareness groups about the costs, chemical hazards and dangers incurred by illegal dumping
- Create safe, public-friendly waste disposal options and advertise them
- Create laws that impose stiff fines for the perpetrators and advertise these stiff fines
- Use Illegal Dumping Cameras to catch the perpetrators in the act
- Use Social Media to ask the public to identify the perpetrators
- Follow through with quick clean up
These steps will invite the citizens to be involved and help deter the criminal activity of illegal dumping within your community.