Who thinks of illegal dumping when they think of a big city?
When anyone mentions “the big city,” a whole host of images and thoughts and feelings flood into your mind. “The big city” has been glamorized as the place where opportunity is waiting for people who wish to make a name for themselves. It is “the big city” that sets the latest fashion trends. It is in “the big city” that you get to experience the greatest food, music, and art. Life is at its most glamorous in “the big city,” or at least that is how it is supposed to be. Nowadays, anyone who is well acquainted with city life have a whole host of negative and disparaging mental connections, like trashy and dirty, with the phrase, “the big city.”
For instance, residents of many cities are plagued by an ever-increasing illegal dumping crisis, that keeps getting worse. Unfortunately, these same cities lack the manpower and resources to adequately investigate and punish the hundreds of businesses which are suspect of engaging in illegal dumping activity. Many cities globally are facing illegal dumping activity that is endangering the health and safety of select neighborhoods and those currently living on the streets. Although the situation may seem hopeless, there is one step which cities should do without delay:
Create an Illegal Dumping Enforcement Program.
A Successful Illegal Dumping Enforcement Program involves many departments within the city.
- Education: Educate the community about the hazards and the cost of illegal dumping.
- Hotlines: Hotlines are a very useful tool when there are witnesses nearby.
- Social Media Program: To ask the community to help identify perpetrators.
- Legislation: Strict laws to combat illegal dumping.
- Enforcement: Enforce, respond, investigate, and prosecute.
- Staff Resources: Staff that is trained and dedicated to combat the illegal dumping problem.
- Illegal Dumping Cameras– cameras specifically designed to provide prosecutable evidence in dark remote areas, where illegal dumping usually occurs.
Eliminate illegal dumping and create an Illegal Dumping Enforcement Program!
#noillegaldumping #stopillegaldumping #publicworks